Sata, Shamenda -Help us,cry Lafarge Cement factory workers
Kindly find time and visit Lafarge Cement Zambia Ndola factory. We are suffering.
1. lowest paid worker gets K1.8 million
2. Most employees are on contracts and some have worked more than 10 years on contracts
3. Ndola Cement factory alone sales about K900million in daily sales but pays workers poorly with yearly increaments between K90,000 and K120,000.
4. Our union is controlled and intimidated by management, they get what management gives them.
5. Gratuity for contract workers is calculated at 15% which is very low.
6. We have foreign managers who get as high as K150 million to K350million per month with K7million weekly allowances, besides the company paying for their accomodation, food dstv electricity etc.
7.Bonus is calculated at 10% meaning those with biger salaries gets more than workers who suffer for it. 10% of 1.8m is K180, 000 and 10% of K50million is K5million, see the gap.
8. Christmas bonus was scrapped off, we dont get it any more in Lafarge, but we make billions of kwachas for a French guy.
9. Mr Shamenda, President Sata, please help us, dont turn blind eye on us , we voted for you. Remember us, we cannot demonstrate or go on strike.Union workers are few and can be easily fired.
Help us please.