A TWO-YEAR-boy of Zimba district in Southern Province has died after swallowing a malaria prevention tablet which choked his gullet.
The named boy, of Mapatizya Constituency, died on Wednesday last week around 20:00 hours. This was after his father, Gift Shankambo, gave him the tablet for malaria prevention.
Southern Province Police Chief Joseph Mutale confirmed the incident in an interview yesterday.
Mr Mutale said that Mr Shankambo gave the tablet to his son from some health personnel who is reported to have been conducting a malaria prevention programme in the area.
Mr Shankambo reported to Mapatizya police post on Friday last week around 03:30 hours that his son, whom he had given the tablet, had died after it choked his throat.
“The father (Mr Shankambo) gave his son a malaria tablet which he took but it choked him after swallowing it…it could be that the deceased suffocated after taking the tablet,” Mr Mutale said.
The body was taken to Zimba Mission Hospital where a post-mortem was carried out.
Mr Mutale said, during the post-mortem, the tablet was found in the deceased’s throat which concluded that the boy died from suffocation.
Police have instituted investigations on the matter.