The Church’s truthful stance on the happenings in Zambia is a clear indication that indeed there is a total break down in the rule of law brought about by the Patriotic Front (PF) Party and its leaders.
In the last few months, the people of Zambia have been looking to the Church to provide guidance on the way forward in relation to the political crisis facing the country.
Last week, the three church mother bodies in Zambia i.e. the Council of Churches in Zambia (CCZ), the Evangelical Church in Zambia (ECZ) and the Zambia Council of Catholic Bishops (ZCCB) came together to analyse the political situation in Zambia. After analysing the situation, the Church Mother Bodies decided to tell the truth.
As United Party for National Development (UPND), we would like to thank the three church mother bodies in Zambia for choosing to tell the truth.
It is only telling the truth that shall set Zambia free. Unfortunately, the truth hurts.
We have observed that some Zambians, who are hurt by the truth, have started criticising the leaders of the Church Mother Bodies who presided over the press conference to announce their decisions.
We would like to encourage the church leaders to soldier on.
The stance they have taken will attract intimidation, threats and harassment from people who do not believe in the rule of law, human rights and freedoms, free media and democracy in general.
Those who are attacking the church leaders should tell the nation whether or not:
- (a) the Church wanted to see President Edgar Lungu and State House declined.
- (b) the Church had an agenda to discuss with President Lungu.
- (c) UPND President Hakainde Hichilema is incarcerated on treason charges.
- (d) the presidential election petition was heard and who was declared the validly elected candidate.
- (e) Shepherd dogs did not defecate in a police vehicle which Hakainde Hichilema was supposed to use and indeed whether or not these dogs have been unleashed on some people at the magistrate’s court.
- (f) Media institutions have been closed in Zambia.
(g) Court orders have been disobeyed leading to a break down in the rule of law.
- (h) Political space has been closed as opposition parties have been denied rallies and the right to assembly.
These and many facts outlined in the statement by the Church Mother Bodies are true.
We therefore support the stance taken by the Church Mother Bodies to call for dialogue so that the country can have peace, unity and restore democracy to our country.