Siavonga district in Southern Province has recorded one case of cholera.
Siavonga District Commissioner (DC) Lovemore Kanyama confirmed the development to ZANIS saying the affected person is a Siavonga council employee aged 28.
Mr. Kanyama said the patient is currently being observed at Siavonga district hospital and would be referred to a cholera centre which the Siavonga council and the hospital staff are preparing in Kabila area.
He has since reiterated that all public gatherings in the district, which include church activities, the Monday market at the harbour and bars, will remain suspended until the situation is contained.
He has also urged the residents of Siavonga to wash their hands with soap after using the toilet, avoid eating already prepared food in the markets and buying fruits from the streets.
Mr. Kanyama said government was working hard to put up measures aimed at stopping the spread of the cholera epidemic.
Siavonga district last recorded a cholera case eight years ago.
And briefing the media in Lusaka yesterday morning, Minister of Health Chitalu Chilufya revealed that cholera cases have increased from 2,426 reported yesterday to 2,451 yesterday and 58 people have died since October last year when the disease broke out in Lusaka.