The Patriotic Front has advised UPND Leader Hakainde Hichilema to stop using Financial Intelligence Centre -FIC- Chief Executive Officer Mary Tshuma in his political battles.
PF Media Director Sunday Chanda says the opposition leader should not compromise Ms. Tshuma’s professional standing unless he’s telling the people something they do not know about.
He says the FIC operates without instructions from anyone.
Mr. Chanda says the FIC is an independent and autonomous government institution under the Ministry of Finance whose core function is to receive and analyze financial transactions and reports bordering on suspected money laundering, terrorist financing, and proliferation.
He says the FIC is 100 percent funded by the Ministry of Finance and has no external funds that come to the Centre which underscores the PF Government’s resolve to strengthen the center as part of the process to ensure its integrity.
Below is the Full statement
PRESS STATEMENT FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MR. HICHILEMA, DONT DRAG MS. MARY CHIRWA TSHUMA IN YOUR POLITICAL BATTLES
Lusaka, 10th September 2019 – In a statement availed to the Press, UPND leader Hakainde Hichilema appears to believe the Financial Intelligence Centre (FIC) exists in a vacuum. He goes further to ask President Edgar Lungu to keep his hands off FIC because clearly he has no idea how the board is constituted as well as basics of corporate governance in an organization.
We wish to draw Mr. Hichilema’s attention to the following:
1. The John Kasanga Board’s tenure came to an end eight (08) months ago in January 2019.
2. The Financial Intelligence Centre is a statutory body established under the Financial Intelligence Centre Act no. 46 of 2016
3. FIC is an independent and autonomous Government institution under the Ministry of Finance.
4. The core function of the FIC is to receive and analyze financial transactions reports bordering on suspected money laundering, terrorist financing, and proliferation submitted to it by accountable institutions
5. The FIC is 100% funded by the Ministry of Finance. There are no external funds that come to the Centre, underscoring the PF Government’s resolve to strengthen the center as part of the process to ensure its integrity.
What does Mr Hichilema recommend should have happened to a Board whose mandate expired eight (08) months ago?
We are also worried at attempts by Mr. Hichilema to use FIC Chief Executive Officer Mary Tshuma’s name to qualify his politically charged but factually flawed statement on this matter. We do not understand why he would choose to use Ms. Tshuma’s name in his political battles?
May we advise Mr. Hichilema not to compromise Ms. Tshuma’s professional standing unless he’s telling us something we do not know about. It’s a fact that FIC operates without instructions from anyone least of all, Mr. Hichilema.
Lastly, we are not sure if it is Mr. Hichilema’s considered view that Ms. Tshuma is the Alpha and Omega of FIC. We do not believe Ms. Tshuma thinks of herself as the “Life CEO” for FIC in the manner that Mr. Hichilema is “Life President” of UPND.
Please Mr. Hichilema, keep your hands off FIC. Let professionalism reign!
Media Director – PF