Government gives Collum Coal mine two weeks to improve workers’ working conditions

File picture: Collum Coal Mine workers
File picture: Collum Coal Mine workers

Chinese Investors at Collum Coal Mine in Sinazongwe District have been given two weeks in which to improve working conditions at the mine or face government action.

Southern Province Minister, Elijah Muchima who issued the ultimatum at a media briefing in Livingstone tuesday, said the mine owners have up to October 30, to put their house in order or face the law.

The Minister has summoned Management of Collum Coal Mine to his office for a meeting on 1st November.

Mr Muchima said the investors at the mine will have to show that they have complied with the law at the meeting which will also be attended by officials from the Ministry of Labour, and the Environmental Council of Zambia.

He observed that miners have been subjected to slavery conditions and all of them are employed on part time, despite a number of them clocking nine years of service.
Mr Muchima has also directed that no employee should be fired for having participated in the protest over the weekend.

Meanwhile, The two Chinese collum coal mine supervisors who shot at protesting miners Monday appeared in a Choma Magistrates court.

Xiao Li Shan 48, and Wu Jiu Hua 46, have been charged with attempted murder contrary to section 215 of the Laws of Zambia.

They appeared before Magistrate Willie Sinyangwe.

Particulars of the offence are that the two supervisors, on October 15th 2010 jointly and whilst acting together, unlawfully attempted to murder Boas Siapwaya.

In the other 12 counts the duo are alleged to have unlawfully attempted to murder the other 12 miners that were injured in the shootings.

The two, who preferred to use Chinese in court, were assisted in interpretation by Chris Xing.

They were represented in court by Kalenge Mulenga from Ambient Associates.

Magistrate Sinyangwe noted that the accused were appearing before him for mention as the offence they are charged with can only be tried in the High Court.

The magistrate stated that the matter would be referred the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for further instructions.

Magistrate Sinyangwe adjourned the matter to November 2nd for mention waiting for instructions from the DPP while the duo has been remanded in custody.

[ZNBC]

12 Comments

  1. 1 flag Bwesu

    I hope this isnt just window dressing. After the dust has settled everything ll go back to the old way.
    And why did it have to take some peiple being shot for the government to start issuing ultimatums?

    Reply
    vote
  2. 3 flag mike

    absolutely useless president,this is an opportunity for the opposition to score serious points.

    Reply
    vote
  3. 4 flag mukabe come 2011

    How many Ultimatums have you heard from these bund of I’DIOTS regarding Column Coal Mine. This is the same Mine where the former Lady Southern Province Minster cried when we visited the Mine and found Mines going underground without proper PPE, no Safety boots. You will recall the Mine was at that time closed but re-opened. Stop behaving like BAFOONS and start working.

    Reply
    vote
  4. 5 flag Papa J

    #4 You are very correct. In fact the same chap, Elijah Muchima, issuing this ultimate did the same last year when he was Deputy Minister. Just check under related stories to this story, the last one headlined.

    Minister condemns Chinese “filthy” Coal mine

    This is the same old usual cheap rhetoric that lacks action, execution and follow through. Just politicking. Get serious guys.

    Thanks God for online media. we can always go back in time and check what you said . This is the information age whatever you say is archived on the Internet and we shall always check how consistency you are.

    Reply
    vote
  5. 6 flag mutombela kwipaya

    Who the hell is this laywer representing these nchoncholis. nchekelaka at its best pa Zed.

    Reply
    vote
  6. 7 flag Unworried Bachelor

    Two weeks you id.iots? Why not just deprt the muther furkers?

    Reply
    vote
  7. 8 flag PABWATO

    GOVT IS DESPERATELY TRYING TO SHOW THAT THEY ARE TAKING ACTION AGAINST THE CHINESE BECAUSE THEY ARE AFRAID OF MICHEAL SATA (MAN OF ACTION) WILL SAY IF NOTHING IS DONE. VIVA PF 2011. AWAY WITH THE MMD!

    Reply
    vote
  8. 9 flag isabel ntombeshenibuche

    @7,we wont deport the bcoz your mother will be starved.

    Reply
    vote
  9. 10 flag Chaponda

    Oh no – bwana minister you are not serious! serious people would have immediately called for a meeting with the management and issue the ultimatums in the faces of the Chinese. These are eye-ball to eye-ball matters you cannot issue threats through the press. No one not even the Chinese ‘infestors’ will take you serious minister. One is left to wonder what calibre of ministers are running this country – what a shame!

    Reply
    vote
  10. 11 flag Loic

    Zambians should nationalize all unsafe businesses with irresponsible propriertors for the sake of their own people

    Reply
    vote
  11. 12 flag Rk

    # 10 you are right.MMD does not mean well for us Zambians period. Red card for MMD in 2011.

    Reply
    vote

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 characters available

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>