Republican President Edgar Lungu says Zambians should be proud of the first Republican President Kenneth Kaunda and all the freedom fighters saying they worked so hard for Zambia to be free from any form of oppression.He said this during the re-launching of Dr. Kaunda’s book “Zambia Shall be Free” organized by Kagem Mining Company in Lusaka last night.The book was originally published in 1962.
President Lungu said that the dream of the book ‘ Zambia Shall Be Free’ came to pass when Zambia got independence from colonial masters on October 24th 1964 and that people are enjoying the freedom now. He said there is also need for Zambians to document the history of Zambia through writing saying the new generation will need to know about the history of the country.
President Lungu said Zambia has come a long way and that there is need to protect the nation saying the freedom fighters suffered for Zambia harshly.The President said he will not relent in promoting unity in the country saying he is a proud Zambian.
President Lungu addressed more than 200 guests at the event to celebrate the relaunch of the book, of which 4,000 copies have been reprinted.
“I am very proud to be guest of honour at this function because Dr Kenneth Kaunda is a living example of an ordinary person who has achieved extraordinary things,” said President Lungu.
Meanwhile Dr Kenneth Kaunda has been urged to publish his memoirs in order to document the nation’s historic events for future generations.
“Allow me to place a passionate appeal to Dr Kaunda to pen his memoirs. Dr Kaunda has been at the helm of the political history of this country from the days of struggle to 1991 when he voluntarily cut short his term of office to allow for multiparty politics. It is only fitting and appropriate that we hear from him on how he stirred the enterprise of Zambia’s state craft all those years,” said William B. Nyirenda, chairman of Kagem Mining, which sponsored the reprint.
In reassuring guests that his memoirs would be published, Dr Kaunda said: “When Zambia became independent we emphasised unity and that all people from various backgrounds were brothers and sisters. ’One Zambia, One Nation’ is still very fresh and still very valid as a vision.
Dr.Kaunda said there is need for Zambians to continue promoting the motto ‘one Zambia, one nation’ and that the motto should remain valid for all the years to come.
Dr. Kaunda, who led the audience in singing ‘ Tiyende Pamodzi ndi mutima umodzi song, said he is impressed that President Lungu has launched the promotion of one Zambia one Nation motto on the national broadcaster saying it will no doubt unite the nation.
Dr. Kaunda, who called to the podium one of the Freedom Fighters Grey Zulu, said the book reprinted reminds him and freedom fighters of the harsh treatment they went through during the struggle for freedom.Dr. Kaunda said Zambians should love one another and know that there is only one country to protect, Zambia.
Sponsorship of the book represents a continuation of the model partnership between Kagem Mining and the government, which owns 25 per cent of the emerald mine in Lufwanyama, with the remaining 75 per cent owned by London-listed Gemfields plc.
In pledging Kagem’s support in publishing a new book of Dr Kaunda’s memoirs, Mr Nyirenda urged the First Republican President to include mention of numerous milestones in Zambia’s history, including the effects of the Declaration of the Universal Declaration of Independence (UDI) in the then Southern Rhodesia; government’s reaction to the bombings that we experienced during the late 70’s as we supported the liberation struggle in the region; the Matero Economic Reforms; Zambia’s relations with the IMF and other Multilateral Institutions ; – there was a time when Sir, you asked IMF to leave due to stringent structural adjustment programs; the Choma Declaration which ushered in One Party Participatory Democracy; the challenges to Dr Kaunda’s presidency at the Mulungushi Rock of Authority by various players; and the advent of Multipartism.
And Mines Minister Christopher Yaluma applauded Kagem Mining Company Limited for honoring Dr. Kaunda saying he deserves the best.Mr. Yaluma said the book will bridge the gap between the new generation and the freedom fighters in knowing and understanding what really occurred during the struggle for freedom.Mr. Yaluma also disclosed that his ministry is still in dialogue with the mining companies over the new mining tax regime in the country.