A-36-year-old man of Kanakantapa in Chongwe in Lusaka Province has committed suicide after his wife died following her electrocution.
A neighbour to the deceased couple Royce Chizuka confirmed the incident to ZANIS today and named the couple as Mwanje Banda and Chisoni Mumba.
Ms Chizuka said the woman died on the spot at a farm last night around 24 hours after she touched a naked live wire.
She said following his wife’s death, the man drank home pesticide and was rushed to Kanakantapa rural health centre where he died this morning around 10hours.
Meanwhile, Chongwe District Commissioner (DC) Japhen Mwakalombe has warned residents against engaging unqualified technicians to do electrical wiring of their houses and other infrastructure to avoid incidents of people being electrocuted.
The bodies of the couple are lying in Chongwe District mortuary awaiting postmortem and burial.
The couple has left behind four children, the eldest is 12 years and the youngest is four months.
[ ZANIS ]