A two-year-old girl of Kaizya village in Mpulungu district of Northern Province has been admitted to Mpulungu District Hospital after drinking a traditional spirit called Kachasu.
The girl was rushed to the hospital in an in unconscious state.
Mpulungu District Medical Officer, Chitondo Saloule, confirmed the incident to ZANIS in Mpulungu today.
Dr Saloule, however, said the girl is out of danger and her condition is stable.
And mother of the girl, 35-year-old Theresa Kamwelu, said the incident happened on Thursday around 19:00hrs.
Ms Kamwelu explained that the girl took the alcohol which their neighbour gave them to keep.
She has since thanked the hospital authorities for helping the child survive.
And Northern Province Permanent Secretary, Hlobotha Nkunika, is saddened with the incident.
Mr Nkunika, who visited the girl, has since urged parents to ensure safety of children by keeping all poisonous substances out of reach of children.