DIRECTOR of public prosecution (DPP) Mutembo Nchito has told the court that only two witnesses are remaining before the State closes its case in a matter in which former republican President Rupiah Banda is charged with abuse of authority in a government to government oil deal with the Nigerian government.
Mr Nchito said this yesterday before Lusaka chief resident magistrate Joshua Banda when he asked the court to grant him an application to have the matter adjourned to enable the State attend to certain issues relating to the case.
When the matter was called up, Mr Nchito who is the lead prosecutor informed the court that the case was schedule for continued trial but the State was seeking for an adjournment to enable it put certain things into consideration.
Mr Nchito said that they were certain things which the State needed to attend to before the matter could proceed.
He said that the adjournment would enable the State to consider among other things, whether or not it was necessary for it to bring the other witness other than the arresting officer.
More than four witnesses have so far testified including SARB Energy managing director Akpan Ekpene, former Zambia high commissioner to Nigeria Richard Kachingwe and former Energy minister Kenneth Konga.
Mr Mutembo who apologized to the court for the inconvenience the adjournment could have caused said that the State had in the past endeavored to ensure that there were no adjournments of the case at its instance.
He indicated to the court that the State was most likely to close up its case at the next hearing because they were only two State witnesses remaining.
Mr Banda later adjourned the matter to February 10, 2014 after there was no objection from Banda’s lawyers.
Banda would appear for mention on January 10, 2014.