President Lungu met representatives of the House of Chiefs who paid a courtesy call on him at State House.
President Lungu discussed a wide range of developmental issues with the 12-member delegation of Chiefs led by the Chairperson of the House of Chiefs, His Royal Highness Chief Ntambu.
The chiefs informed the President that their wish is to increase the role of traditional rulers in advancing core national values especially the enhancement of peace and unity in the nation.
The chiefs also informed the President about the administrative challenges the House of chiefs was facing; the problems regarding tractors being distributed by Government to chiefdoms; policy on building chiefs’ palaces and their call to delink the House of Chiefs from Ministry of Chiefs and Traditional Affairs, among others.
The President assured the chiefs that his administration holds traditional rulers in high esteem and would work closely with them to ensure that the House of Chiefs played a role in nation-building and inculcation of progressive values within communities.
“Your Royal Highnesses, you are very critical actors in national development and an important moral voice of guidance. Your voice on ending child marriage, campaign against depletion of forests among others, is very important. You are an important moral voice in our society. The PF Government does not see Chiefs as a relic from the past,” President Lungu said.
The chiefs who paid a courtesy call on the President are:
1. Chief Ntambu – Chairperson;
2. Chieftainess Muwezwa – Vice-Chairperson;
3. Senior Chief Luembe – Eastern Province;
4. Senior Chief Chiwala – Copperbelt Province;
5. Senior Chief Ishindi – North Western Province;
6. Senior Chief Inyambo Yeta – Western Province;
7. Chief Ngabwe – Central Province;
8. Chief Mpande – Northern Province;
9. Chief Chipepo – Lusaka Province;
10. Chief Chikwanda – Muchinga Province;
11. Chief Hamusonde – Southern Province and
12. Chief Kashiba – Luapula Province
by Amos Chanda
Special assistant to the president (press and public relations)