One person dies at Chinese coal Mine accident
One person has died while several others have been injured at the Chinese collum coal mine accident in Sinazeze in Sinazongwe district.
Maamba Hospital Superintendent Dr Angel Mwiche confirmed the death of Trywell Siapukwe that he was brought in dead on Monday at night.
Dr. Mwiche said three accidents have happened at the Collum mine within one week and the hospital has been attending to injured patients resulting from the rocks falling on the workers under ground.
He said Mr Siapukwe died from the rocks that fell on him under ground while Joseph Mutinta sustained some injuries and an x-lay was being done to determine if he was stable.
The Doctor disclosed that another injured person was brought to the hospital in the morning on Monday but he was treated and discharged the same day.
Dr Mwiche said of the three miners that were injured last week two were discharged while ,Jerical Siankuku, who had a fractured spine and displacement of the back borne was in a critical condition.
He said Mr Siankuku needs to be referred to the Univerisity Teaching Hospital (UTH) for specialist treatment but efforts to have an audience with the Chinese Collum coal mine Management was delaying the process.
“As at now the patient is paralysed and if the injury has gone to the spine chances for him to walk again are slim,” the Dr Mwiche.
He said the rate of the accidents at the mine were worrying adding that something has to be done to improve on safety.
A shift supervisor who refused to be named said tother workers were treated of the injuries at Sinazeze clinic and they were discharged.
Sinazongwe District MMD Constituency Chairperson Simoni Chali who visited the patients appealed to the Minister of Mines to close the mine until safety measures were followed to reduce on the rate of the accidents.
Mr. Chali noted that the rate of accidents were a danger to the lives of the workers at collum mine.
Chinese Mine Manager Xu Jin Lianc who brought the dead person could not express himself in English and only said that the accident occurred at shaft two.
Last week Nkandabbwe ward Councillor Patson Mangunje said it was unfortunate that the Chinese were failing to observe safety measures to protect miners underground.
He reaffirmed that the Chinese were also failing to compensate the injured workers adding that the mine has not paid the three miners who were crippled last year as result of the underground accidents.
Mr. Mangunje condemned the Mine Safety Inspectors for failing to conduct proper inspection at the Chinese mine because two days after their inspections the accident occurred.
In another development a ZAMBEEF casual worker in Sinazongwe is also battling for his life in Maamba Hospital after two tractors crushed his left leg as he was on duty.
Dr Mwiche confirmed the development and that Kennedy Siakayinga sustained a broken leg and managed to stabilise it.
The Doctor said that he would be alright though one leg will be shorter than the other.
Speaking from his bed side Siakayinga said the accident occurred while was on duty and one moving tractor accidentally rammed into the stationed one which also crushed his leg.
“ I shouted for help and told them that you have crushed my leg, actually the driver who caused the accident has no licence but he is allowed to drive,” Mr Siakayinga said.