Cosafa still struggling to find a host for the 2009 Cosafa Senior Challenge Cup after Mpumalanga Province in South Africa withdrew their earlier pledge to stage this years tournament.
Cosafa president Suketu Patel told the Southern Africa regional football governing body’s website on Friday that he was still optimistic a new host for the annual tournament will be found for this years event.
“We had a written commitment from the Provincial Government in September last year that they would put on the tournament in 2009 and 2010,” Patel says. “This was reaffirmed telephonically by the Province’s MEC in April, though she has since left office.
“Despite follow-up communication with the Province we have received no further commitment from them and that has put the tournament in jeopardy for this year.
“The situation has meant we have essentially lost eight months in searching for a new host, however, we are still hopeful of finding an alternative for 2009.”
Mpumalanga Province sponsored and hosted the 2008 Cosafa Senior Challenge Cup following the end of a 10-year sponsorship deal with SABMiller.
South Africa are the defending Cosafa Senior Challenge Cup champions after beating Mozambique 2-1 in the final played in Thulamahashe on August 3, 2008.