President Michael Sata says he is confident that the nine-member Commission of Inquiry he appointed to investigate the January 14 Mongu disturbances will pave the way for an amicable settlement of the problems in Western Province.
This was contained in a statement released by George Chellah Special assistant to the President on Press and Public Relations
“I have no doubt that the high professional and personal integrity of the commmission chairperson Dr Roger Chongwe, SC, and his team will help bring about an agreeable and peaceful settlement to this matter,’’ said the President.
The President said he remains committed to addressing the main causes of public discontent in Western Province thus the Barotse Agreement.
Meanwhile, Chief Justice Ernest Sakala will tomorrow, October 12, 2011, swear-in members of the Commission of Inquiry appointed to probe the extra-judicial killings of civilians during the Mongu demonstrations.
The swearing-in ceremony will take place at 15:00 hours at the Supreme Court and thereafter the commissioners will proceeed to State House to pay a courtesy call on the Head of State.
President Sata named the Commission of Inquiry last week to investigate the Mongu killings and pardoned all Barotse activists who had been jailed over the January 14 riots.