President of the opposition United Liberal Party (ULP), Sakwiba Sikota has advised former president, Frederick Chiluba to accept the London High Court judgment and pay back over US$40 million he allegedly misappropriated from Zambian government during his reign.
Mr. Sikota told the Zambia News and Information Services (ZANIS) in an interview
today that Dr. Chiluba’s attempt to defend himself now was totally misplaced.
He said Dr. Chiluba was accorded an opportunity to defend himself in the courts of law but he refused to so during trial.
“He should have done that in the courts of law, not now because the judgment stands
and it will be acted upon,” said Mr. Sikota.
Mr. Sikota, , who is a prominent lawyer,Â said the former president should stop making attempts to explain the outcome of the London Court judgment as it was irreversible.
He said people in leadership should always be made to account for public resource and avoid plunder.
“Plundered moneys should be returned and put to good use,” he said.
About 20 days ago, the London High Court ordered Dr. Chiluba to pay back 85 per cent
of what he, together with nine other people, allegedly misappropriated from government’s ZANTROP account within a fortnight of receiving the judgment.
In another development, Dr. Chiluba, who collapsed in his bedroom at his Kabulonga
home yesterday morning, is still admitted to the University Teaching Hospital (UTH)
Dr. Chiluba’s Spokesperson, Emmanuel Mwamba, told ZANIS today that the former
president underwent several medical tests ever since he was admitted yesterday.
“He remains in hospital under observation. He underwent several medical tests but
the Doctors have not yet advised what the problem is, but it is related to his heart
condition,” Mr. Mwamba said.
Last year, Dr. Chiluba was diagnosed with a cardiac problem at South Africa’s Garden
On March 20 this year, Dr. Chiluba again went to Johannesburg for treatment and
returned on April 24th.
Dr. Chiluba was due to appear before the UTH ad hoc committee of medical Doctors
next Monday, after the Lusaka Magistrate court ordered that it he acquires fresh reports to ascertain he was fit to attend court proceedings.
The former President, who is jointly charged with former Access Finance directors
Faustin Kabwe and Aaron Chungu, is still facing charges of theft by public servant in the Lusaka magistrate court, involving over US$500,000.