MULUNGUSHI University is off to a good start and its vision is to be a centre of academic excellence and a leading institution of higher learning in Africa, Professor Vernon Chinene has said.
Prof. Chinene who is the Vice Chancellor of the institution said this in Kabwe today when he addressed students of the newly opened university.
“The mission of Mulungushi University is to provide high quality education and generate knowledge and technological innovations relevant to national and regional development goals,” he said.
The Vice Chancellor said that Mulungushi University would make every effort to provide quality education which would empower students to be competitive in any given field of specialisation.
He urged the students to rise up to the challenge and get as much out of their lectures as possible and exhibit high performance standards in their academic endeavours.
“In April 2008, we expect to admit the first students to undertake diploma programmes of the university. This will be followed in September by the admission of first undergraduate students of the university” Prof Chinene said.
He added that the advertisement of undergraduate programmes was expected to be launched in June, 2008 or earlier, depending on the preparatory arrangements which were currently going on.
The Vice Chancellor said other planned academic programmes would be developed during the course of the development of the university and that the certificate courses would be beefed up in their syllabus and courses extended from six months to one year.
“With regard to the future of certificate courses, let me take the opportunity to reaffirm that Mulungushi University plans to continue offering them by virtue of it being a multi-level curriculum university,” he said.
Prof Chinene told the students that 30 per cent of the places in the academic programmes would be reserved for women while the remaining 70 per cent would be competed for equally between male and female applicants.
He said Mulungushi University had been established on the understanding that it would be a 100 per cent fee paying university which would be expected to be self sustaining financially.
And in a vote of thanks, IMIS Diploma student, Sylvester Hakalaki said that it was a honour to have a third university which would offer higher education as the other two were not sufficient to cater for the whole population.
Hakalaki quoted Psalms 127 which stresses that unless God builds, the builder builds in vain.