It doesn’t matter how big your chest and biceps are, if you have narrow shoulders you will appear to be weak and tiny.
For men, wide shoulders will make you look tall, broad, and powerful. google Dwight Howard , which man wouldn’t want shoulders like his?
For women, hard toned shoulders will help you appear sleek and sexy. No man wants their woman to have soft, squishy or flabby shoulders.
How to Get Strong Shoulders
Firstly, chest and back are two muscle groups that are important to train, when training for stronger shoulders. The chest, shoulders, and back form the core of your upper body strength.
No one developed great shoulders by focusing on dumbbell side raises or shoulder pressing on machines. The compound exercises that involve your whole body will be most effective at building big, strong shoulders. Isolation exercises will be necessary, but only for developing super strong rotator cuffs.
NOTE: As always , if you go not have access to gym equipment , be innovative and use everyday house hold items , such as water bottles filled with sand , or water.
BEST SHOULDER EXERCISE
STANDING OVERHEAD PRESS
The military press is in the same level with squats , dead lifts and bench presses , as one of the mandatory exercises for all serious body builders. If you are not overhead pressing you are not really lifting. This is the ultimate compound pressing exercise for your shoulders.
To set up: Lift the weight up to your shoulders to start the exercise. . Grip the bar 2-3 inches outside of shoulder width.
To press: starting with the weight resting on your upper chest and shoulders, press the bar up in front of your face, extending the elbows just short of lockout. Return the weight under control to your upper chest to complete the rep.
Do not bounce, use your legs, or use your hips to get the weight up, as this would be a push press.
Variations: standing, seated, push press, dumbbell press.
Dumbbell Lateral Raise
How its done;
- Stand up with your torso upright and a dumbbell on each hand being held at arms length. The elbows should be close to the torso.
- The palms of the hands should be facing your torso. Your feet should be about shoulder width apart. This will be your starting position.
- Keeping your arms straight and the torso stationary, lift the weights out to your sides until they are about shoulder level height while exhaling.
- Feel the contraction for a second and begin to lower the weights back down to the starting position while inhaling.
- Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.
- Keep the palms facing down with the little finger slightly higher while lifting and lowering the weights as it will concentrate the stress on your shoulders mainly.
Variations: There are many variations for this movement. For example you can perform the exercise sitting down on a bench with or without back support and you can also perform it by alternating arms; first lift the right arm for one repetition, then the left, then the right, etc.
Seated Dumbbell Press
- Grab a couple of dumbbells and sit on a flat bench or a bench that has back support on it as you place the dumbbells upright on top of your thighs.
- Lift the dumbbells up one at a time by using your thighs to bring the dumbbells up to shoulder height at each side.
- Rotate the wrists so that the palms of your hands are facing forward. This is your starting position.
- As you exhale, push the dumbbells up until they touch at the top.
- After a second pause, slowly come down back to the starting position as you inhale.
- Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.
- You can perform the exercise standing or sitting on a regular flat bench.
- You can also perform the exercise as Arnold Schwarzenegger used to do it, which is to start holding the dumbbells with a supinated grip (palms facing you) in front of your shoulders and then, as you start pushing up, you align the dumbbells in the starting position described on step 3 by rotating your wrists and touch the dumbbells at the top. As you come down, then you would go back to the starting position by rotating the wrist throughout the lowering portion until the palms of your hands are facing you. This variation is called the Arnold Press. However, it is not recommended if you have rotator cuff problems.
Great to have another work out plan this week. I saw a video of Arnie working out his shoulders as described in the last paragraph – he was so focussed and you could read the determination on his face, he never even noticed the cameraman near him. It reveals the will power with which he achieved good results.
I really wondr if the prsn who wrts ths works ot coz it looks lyk hrd work to meI really wondr if the prsn who wrts ths works ot coz it looks lyk hrd work to me
Good staff! Is there an exercise which can firmly tighten the muscles around ones buttocks????
Judging by the few comments i read on this topic, it seems there are few beings out there that train. LT bring more of these, our pipo needs to know the importance of workin out. Iam truly enjoy reading each article your write.
obviously like your web-site but you need to test the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I to find it very troublesome to inform the reality then again I will surely come back again.
Thank you for the good writeup. It in truth used to be a amusement account it. Glance complex to far delivered agreeable from you! However, how can we keep in touch?
Comments are closed.