Sunday’s match at Arthur Davies Stadium in Kitwe between third placed Power Dynamos and 15th positioned Mighty Mufulira Wanderers was abandoned at halftime due to security concerns.

Mighty were leading 1-0 into the break through a 17th minute strike from Progress Kalenga.

However, second assistant Lewis Mumba sustained an arm injury in the 35th minute from missile thrown from the stands.

Mumba received treated for the cut on his arm thereafter and continued without any incident into the break in a match officiated by FIFA referee Janny Sikazwe.

However, Sikazwe then made a dressing room decision by refusing to resume second half proceedings after consulting with the match commissioner George Chipampe over security concerns alleging Power had less than ten police officers manning the game on the day, an observation he failed to make before kickoff.

Fans, players and officials were then left stunned for 20 minutes at halftime with no match officials in sight only to be told by the match commissioner that the game had been abandoned due to inadequate security at Arthur Davies.

Fans descended on the Power dressing rooms demanding their money back and baying for Sikazwe’s blood and threatening to destroy his car but quick action from the police prevented that.

After an hour, the match officials were later taken away under heavy police escort in a police Toyota Land Cruiser but that did not stop the fans from chasing and pleating the vehicle with missiles.

A verdict on the incident will be made by FAZ.

Elsewhere on Sunday, Green Buffaloes beat Lumwana Radiants 1-0 thanks to 90th minute penalty from Jack Chirwa to stay 5th.

Forest Rangers also won after a 2-1 away win over relegation bound Lusaka Tigers to stay unbeaten for a sixth straight match.

Logic Chingandu scored the first goal in the 45th minute to put Forest 1-0 into the break before Graven Chitalu added the last goal in the 57th minute.

Second from bottom Tigers got their consolation goal from the spot via a Chibesa Chanda 80th minute penalty.

[Read 24 times, 1 reads today]


  1. Very suspicious decision. Mighty won the game fair and square. Its power who failed to enforce security. When Mighty fans caused the abandonment of the game against ZEsco at shinde last season the points were given to ZESCO.


  2. This is what you get when you allow inflated egos to officiate very important games! This is a pure case of sleeping on duty! The ref is at fault here.


  3. No adequate security, but police managed to whisk him from the crowd? Mighty should refuse a replay


  4. Mighty have 3 points in the bag! Let us beat Lumwana Radiants in the next game and after that aim from NAPSA. Power supporters know that their bogey side has always been Mufulira Wanderers and just could not believe what was happening on the pitch. historically Mighty have always got the better of Power at Arthur Davies Stadium hence the acts of hooliganism.



Comments are closed.