- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken pieces, either breasts or thighs, cut into chunks (skin on or off)
- 2 small onion, finely sliced
- 1 fat garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 300g paella rice
- 850ml hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 200g frozen peas
- ½ a red bell pepper (optional)
- ½ small pack parsley, finely chopped, to serve (optional)
Heat the oil in a deep frying pan over a high heat. Add the chicken and cook it until its brown all over; but don’t cook it completely. Once browned, transfer the chicken to a plate. Reduce the heat to low, add the onions and cook slowly until softened, about 10 mins.
Add the garlic, stir for 1 min, then stir in the spices, and tip in the rice. Stir well to coat the rice in the oils and spices for about 2 mins, and then pour in the hot stock. Bring to the boil, return the chicken to the pan and simmer for about 20 mins, stirring occasionally.
Add the peas to the pan and simmer for a further 5 mins until the rice is cooked and the chicken is tender.
Season well and serve hot with a beverage of your choice. You can also serve them with a side of lemon wedges, and you can serve any leftovers in tortilla wraps for lunch the next day.