The Ministry of Health has allayed fears that the oral cholera vaccine being administered in Lusaka might be unsafe.
Some commentators have raised fears that the vaccine which was launched last week is unsafe as it is a trial vaccine whose efficacy and safety is not guaranteed.
But Ministry of Health Permanent Secretary Kennedy Malama told Journalists in Lusaka that the vaccine is safe and that it was subjected to vigorous tests.
Dr Malama said the vaccine has been used in other regions and advised Zambians to dismiss such allegations which he described as unfounded.
He said government officials such as Minister of Health Dr Chitalu Chilufya and his Local Government counterpart Vincent Mwale who were present during the launch also took the vaccine adding that there was no way government would have administered unsafe vaccines to its officials.
Dr Malama said the campaign will bring the life-saving oral cholera vaccine to the people who need it most.
The Zambian Government with support from the World Health Organization and partners on Wednesday launched a campaign to vaccinate Lusaka residents against Cholera.
Two million doses of the oral cholera vaccine from the Gavi-funded global stockpile were delivered to Zambia in January, enough to immunize 1 million people.
Planning is underway to vaccinate a further 1 million people living in known cholera hotspots across the country later this year.
Selected vaccination sites in central areas of Lusaka will be targeted under the campaign.