A GOAT DRAMA: WHEN USEFUL IDIOTS DRESSED AS GOATS IN SHEEP SKIN ‘CONGREGOAT’ IN A COMICAL GOAT-TOGETHER!
By Sunday Chilufya Chanda
A “useful idiot” is a colourful term for a person who is a propagandist for a cause of whose goals they are not fully aware and who are used cynically by the (mis)leaders of the cause.
The related term “Acting the Billy goat” is according to the urban dictionary, a term used to describe a person being an idiot or being incredibly inanely obstinate.
The “leaders” of political parties who recently met at a hotel in Lusaka fit the bill of both terms quite nicely.
Chishimba Kambwili, Elias Chipimo, Mike Mulongoti, Charles Milupi, Sean Tembo, and other tag-alongs, all have one thing in common; they are Hichilema’s useful “obliGOATary” idiots!
They represent the cast of a slapstick comedy that portrays a nearly extinct Billy Goat misleading other goats (that pretend to be sheep) away from green pastures to parched barren land.
These goats are useful for nothing except that which amounts to nothing; pawns in the hands of the Billy Goat grandmaster -winner of the wooden spoon five times in a row.
A ‘congreGOATion’ of Delinquent thinking!
Their ‘congreGOATion’ at the “instiGOATion” of the Billy Goat is founded on fallacy.
Whichever way they may choose to bury their heads in the sand, the fact remains that the law has guided; the Constitutional Court recently interpreted what constitutes a Presidential term.
The decision of the Constitutional Court is final and cannot, therefore, be appealed against.
Their attempts to cast aspersions on what constitutes a “Presidential Term” is to put it mildly-stinking thinking!
Their logic is as futile as their attempts to try to get a Billy Goat to Smile!
Look who’s talking! They all “Act the Giddy Goat” in their “Parties”!
All these people act the giddy goat in their respective political parties-they are intra party despots with poor records of good governance.
What moral ground do they have to talk about good governance when their respective political parties are personality cults built around their individual personalities rather than principle?
NeGOATive Hichilema-The UPND Life President
Take Mr Hakainde Hichilema for instance.
He has institutionalised dictatorship in his party having given himself an Indefinite “Term”.
- What does Hichilema have to say about the farce of his party’s constitution which has left UPND in a stunted crisis since he usurped its leadership? What does he have to say of article 70 of the UPND constitution that says: _“A party President shall be eligible for election for an indefinite period subject to this Constitution provided that a Party President who is elected Republican President shall only serve two terms that shall run concurrently with the term of office as Republican President”._
- Is Hichilema’s wamuyayaya indefinite “term” a mark of “good governance”?
- How ethical or (im)moral Is it for one man to hold on to power for more than 12 years during which time no elections or convention is held and yet he miserably loses elections 5 times ?
- Does he even have any moral ground to comment on democracy, tenures, governance and related matters?
- What about their “structures”- when (if at all) did UPND last hold intra- party elections?
Chipimo and his Fellow forGOATen Sundry
By the same token-what about Elias Chipimo?
What morality does he even have to talk about Democracy? It is ridiculous!
It is nearly a decade since NAREP was established in March 2010 by Mr Chipimo and it has been a poorly performing de-facto one man show or “sole-solo- trader” ever since.
Since inception, Mr Chipimo has been the “party’s” Presidential Candidate in the 2011 and 2015 General Elections in which he spectacularly failed to garner even half a percent of the Presidential vote.
It is bad enough that he did not even manage 1% of the vote. But surely; less than half a percent!?
Mr Elias Chipimo’s unflattering record of playing the goat just goes to show not only how seriously the people of Zambia take him, but how seriously he takes himself. He is his own electoral college.
Phrases like “Convention” “Intra-Party Elections” “Intra-party Democracy” are alien to NAREP.
What morality does Elias have to even talk about Democracy or Good Governance?
The same can be said of the rest of the motley cast of this bleating goat comedy.
The sole trader nature of Mulongoti and Milupi’s one man parties as well as the comical bellyaching for attention of, Tembo and Kambwili are well documented. They are individually and collectively not worth the paper or the ink so we will leave it at that. Suffice to say they do not have any moral ground to stand on; they are goats with ulterior motives pretending to be sheep.
Priorities & PreroGOATives -Is this what Zambia really needs?
While Vision 2030 some years ago appeared to be an obscure target on the distant horizon, its attainment is becoming more reachable with every giant stride the Patriotic Front Government of His Excellency President Edgar Chagwa Lungu takes.
From 2011 when the PF formed Government under the late President Michael Chilufya Sata (MHSRIP) and now under his successor President Edgar Chagwa Lungu, the PF has continued to make substantial progress in all sectors across the country.
We need an opposition that will compete with us on policy and principle; not personality attacks.
We repeat what we have said before:
- “For our democracy to thrive, the ruling party needs worthy competition in the form of a credible opposition party worth its salt; one that knows where it stands ,where it wants to go and how it plans to get there.
- In the interest of the development of our country, the Patriotic Front covets a contest of ideas; not the challenge of regional allegiance practised by some.
- The PF development agenda is premised on a mission with a clear vision seen through the clear lenses of the PF Manifesto, 7NDP and vision 2030.
- We have so far been deprived of an opposition of excellence.
- We yearn for a contest of policy, from those who are supposed to represent an alternative government (such as the UPND).
- We echo our challenge to them to play the role of a proposition party.
- Therein lies the dilemma; how possible is it to have such discourse when the UPND don’t have a manifesto? How can they offer what they don’t have?
- Even their Ten Point “Plan” has been rendered irrelevant and it is as practical as delivering sand to the Sahara or ice to Alaska; because everything UPND promises to deliver has already been swallowed up by the exploits of the Patriotic Front”.
Jealous, insecure and envious people only try eclipsing our sun because they’re jealous of our daylight and tired of their dark, starless nights.
The recent congreGOATion only provided a fast fading entertainment value. Zambians have watched this Billy goat comedy (with his scapegoating) five times before and its appeal has become hackneyed, worn out and threadbare like a worn out garment spat out of a goats mouth.
If the Billy goat were twice as smart as he is, he would be half as smart as he thinks he is. Some drink from the fountain of knowledge; it appears he only gargled.
The Zambian people always separate the sheep from the goats.
The Author is Patriotic Front Media Director At the Patriotic Front Secretariat Lusaka