The FIFA ban that was looming over Zambia today July, 10, 2020 has been averted after a tripartite agreement was reached.
FIFA had set July 10 as deadline for the court case against FAZ to be withdrawn by expelled member Damiano Mutale who was contesting legality of the constitutional process of the elective 2020 FAZ Annual General Meeting in March following the disqualification of certain candidates.
The process was halted in March following Mutale’s injunction just before the nation went into Covid-19 lockdown and provincial elections had been completed in six out of the ten provinces before culminating in the March 29 elective FAZ AGM for the President ,Vice President and Women’s Football representative.
Sports Minister Emmanuel Mulenga said during a press briefing on Friday that the three stakeholders in the impasse had held a high-level meeting on Thursday and the court case withdrawn by Mutale.
“The aggrieved party will withdraw the football case from the courts of law today the 10 July, 2020,” Mulenga said.
“FAZ will not proceed with elections until after the meeting to be chaired by FIFA to iron out outstanding electoral contested issues and three; the meeting which will be chaired by FIFA will be attended by both FAZ and the aggrieved stakeholders.
“The outcome of the meeting with FIFA shall be final and none of the parties shall seek redress from a third party.”
The announcement means Zambia will continue to participate in all FIFA and CAF national and club competitions that would have otherwise seen them particularly forfeit their 2021 Olympic Women’s Football Finals outing , plus 2022 FIFA World Cup and AFCON Qualifiers including COSAFA and friendly match obligations.
Zambian clubs would have also been banned from participation in the CAF Champions League and CAF Confederation Cup.