Police have picked up former Health Permanent Secretary,
Dr. Simon Miti to help with investigations into the financial scandal at the Ministry of Health.
Dr. Miti, who is now Science and Technology Permanent secretary, was picked up Saturday morning for questioning at police headquarters in the Zambian capital, Lusaka.
Police Spokesperson Bonny Kapeso has confirmed the development.
Investigations have intensified in the K10 billion scam at the ministry of health with 32 people now sent on forced leave.
Secretary to the Cabinet, Joshua Kanganja has confirmed that the 32 officers have been written to.
Dr. Kanganja said cabinet office will not suspend any officers until the probe is completed.
The Secretary to the Cabinet said there will be need to take administrative action against the officers implicated in the scam once investigations have been completed.
And in another development K4 billion released by the ministry of health last year for completing the construction of Shangombo District Hospital, has been diverted to unrelated activities by the western province administration.
This has enraged Sinjembela Member of Parliament Mubika Mubika.
Mr. Mubika says the Shangombo district hospital project that was started in 2004 has remained a white elephant for five years.
Mr. Mubika says critically ill patients suffering from Tuberculosis and those on Anti Retro Viral drugs continue to be inconvenienced by travelling to Senanga district to access the drugs.
He has called on Health Minister Kapembwa Simbao to ensure that the K3 billion budgeted for this year is not diverted.
The incomplete Shangombo district hospital project also includes construction of 14 staff houses, but only 6 have been completed.