“Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God”- 1 John 4:7
Following the cruel death of Mr. Harison Chanda, the Patriotic Front Monze district chairperson, on the evening of 25th February 2013, in Livingstone, we as the Catholic church in Livingstone, have the following to say:
1. We are greatly saddened and shocked by the brutal killing of Mr. Harison Chanda. Henceforth, we condemn in strongest terms the brutal act of violence that led to the loss of life of Mr. Harison Chanda.
2. As a church we are non-partisan.
3. Human life in all its forms should be protected at all times.No person has the right to take away the life of another person, for whatever reason.
4. It is unfortunate that as a result of campaigns in this by-elections, we have lost human life.
5. We call upon the people of livingstone, known for peace, to reject all forms of violence.
6. We call upon all political players, to remain calm and peaceful, today, tomorrow, (the voting day), and after the elections.
7. Aware that tomorrow, 28th February 2013, is a polling day, we call upon all registered voters, to turn up in numbers and cast their ballot paper, to elect a member of parliarment of their choice, without and fear of intimidation.
8. Finally, we reapet: let us love one another. Let us not allow political differences to lead us to hatred and the taking away human life.
By Fr. Clifford Mulasikwanda,
Diocesan Secretary, Catholic Diocese of Livingstone