9.5 C
Alba Iulia
Monday, August 10, 2020

Mindolo residents demolition victims’ camp now occupied by non-victims

General News Mindolo residents demolition victims' camp now occupied by non-victims

Erected tents at Helen Kaunda Secondary School grounds for the homeless Mindolo North squatters whose houses where demolished
Erected tents
at Helen Kaunda Secondary School grounds for the homeless Mindolo
North squatters whose houses where demolished

THE transit camp setup within Helen Kaunda School grounds in Kitwe to provide accommodation relief for the displaced Mindolo residents has been invaded by intruders who are not victims of the Kitwe City Council house demolition operation.

The invasion of the transit camp by intruders has caused a strain on the limited toilet facilities to cater for the resettled households.

A check at the transit camp yesterday found families complaining of inadequate toilets at the centre.

The residents said only 10 mobile toilets were provided at the transit camp for the over 100 families to use.

They complained that they were from time to time compelled to use the surrounding bush to answer the call of nature.

But Disaster Management and Mitigation Unit (DMMU) national coordinator, Patrick Kangwa said the 10 mobile-toilets dispatched at the transitsite should be enough to cater the resettled residents except that the area had been invaded by intruders.

Mr Kangwa revealed that other people were coming through to fuse themselves among the displaced Mindolo residents with the view to benefit from the provided relief accommodation.

He said it was these other people that were coming through and making themselves as part of the resettled households that were causing a shortage of toilets.

“The good thing is that we did a screening exercise so we have a baseline for all the genuinely affected households,” Mr Kangwa said.

Mr Kangwa however said the DMMU was dispatching a further 10 mobile toilets to the transit camp to bring the total number to 20.

3 COMMENTS

  1. Balefimwena muma benefits, ni sangwapo chabe! Obviously the conditions in of those people’s home are worse than were they are at the moment so you cannot blame them!

  2. That sounds like PF members are giving out tents to either PF members or getting bribes or both. Is this government serious about we Zambians?

Comments are closed.

- Advertisement -
Loading...
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Learning from doctors who have successfully handled COVID-19 cases

South Africa has the fifth-highest number of confirmed COVID-19 infections in the world and accounts for the highest number...

Some Civil servants are forcing Farmers to sell maize to FRA-Farmers Union

The Zambia National Farmers’ Union has discovered a scam where some civil servants; including Camp Officers and District Commissioners have been threatening farmers of...

Police Officers who have received their retirement benefits immediately vacate Police houses

Home Affairs Minister Stephen Kampyongo has directed that retired Police Officers who have received their retirement benefits immediately vacate Police houses. Mr Kampyongo said the...

Go for COVID-19 Test at Designated Centres, Avoid Rapid Test, Health Minister Urges the Public

Health Minister Dr. Chilufya urged citizens to ensure that they go for tests in designated government and private laboratories to avoid being duped...

Lusambo recounts his time ICU, as another MP recovers after being on Oxygen

Lusaka Province minister Mr. Bowman Lusambo yesterday recounted his time in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at Levy Mwanawasa Teaching Hospital where he was...

More Articles In This Category