GOVERNMENT will by tomorrow settle outstanding balances owed to farmers countrywide for maize sold to the Food Reserve Agency (FRA), Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock permanent secretary David Shamulenge has said.
Dr Shamulenge said in an interview that all farmers countrywide will be paid by tomorrow.
“As I speak to you, I am in Ikelenge district facilitating the payment of this money to farmers. The remaining batch of farmers will be paid by Friday this week,” Dr Shamulenge said.
He assured that outstanding balances will be paid to all farmers who supplied maize to FRA countrywide.
Dr Shamulenge said Minister of Agriculture and Livestock Wylbur Simuusa also assured that Government is working hard to ensure that all farmers are paid before the end of the week.
FRA has already paid about 80 percent of farmers countrywide while the remaining 20 percent from Northern, Eastern and Southern provinces would be cleared this week.
Dr Shamulenge, however, did not state the outstanding amount owed to farmers but that Mr Simuusa will do so today.
He advised farmers to remain calm as Government has already secured funds to pay them