Newly elected Tanzanian President John Magufuli has scrapped independence day celebrations to spend the money on a clean-up campaign, an official statement said.The president has instead decreed that on that day everybody should pick up their tools and clean their backyards.
“It is so shameful that we are spending huge amounts of money to celebrate 54 years of independence when our people are dying of cholera,” Magufuli said in a statement read on state television late Monday.
Last weekend the Tanzanian parliament was going to open and there was a state dinner planned for all guests that was going to cost about 300million Shillings.President Magulufi cut the budget to 25million Shillings and ordered that the rest be taken to buy hospital beds for Muhimbili they got 300 beds and mattresses and 600 bed sheets from that money.
On Saturday 21st November 2015 a group of 50 people were about to set off for a tour of commonwealth countries but President Magulufi cut that list down to 4 people, saving government 600m shillings in tickets, accommodation and per diems.
It is said when John Magufuli was confirmed winner of the presidential election people started congratulating him and sent gifts to his place which he turned back, saying he will receive all congratulations over the phone and nobody should visit him.
Some other austerity measures include:
- No more foreign travel, embassies will take care; if it’s necessary to go, special permission must be sought from him or Chief Secretary
- No more 1st class and business class travel for all officials except President, Vice, and Prime Minister.
- No more workshops and seminars in expensive hotels when their so many ministry board rooms available.
- President Magulufi asked how come engineers are given V8s when a pick-up is more suitable for their jobs.
- No more sitting allowances, how the hell are you paid allowance for a job which you have a monthly salary; that also applies to MP’s.
- All individuals/firms that bought state companies that were privatized but haven’t done anything (20years later) are to either revive the industries immediately or hand them back to the government
Tanzania’s say President Magulufi has literally pressed the reset button; returning Tanzania to default factory settings which was the Tanzania Julius Nyerere left.
On the day after he was brought to power, as State House officials were showing him round he decided to take a walk to ministry of finance, told government workers to get their act together. He asked why some employees weren’t in offices and ordered the TRA to scrap all tax exemptions, everyone must pay taxes especially the big guys
President Magulufi went to Muhimbili Hospital unannounced and walked thru the worst parts that they keep hiden from important visitors and fired the director, the hospital board and ordered that all machines that weren’t working (so that people go to private hospitals owned by some doctors) to be repaired within 2 weeks otherwise he would fire even the new director.The machines were repaired in 3 days.
Finally, last week when going to officially open parliament President Magulufi didn’t go by plane, drove the whole 600km from Dar to Dodoma.
President Magulufi has reduced the size of the presidential convoy, even reduced the size of presidential delegation that travels with him.
President Magulufi chose a Prime Minister most had never heard of before, a man with a reputation for hard work and no corruption.All the big guys Tanzanians expected would be PM have been let wondering what hit them.
His motto is: Hapa Kazi Tu
Oh, they say