Mines Minister Richard Musukwa has vowed not to resign his position over the Black Mountain disaster which claimed 10 lives.
Mr Musukwa who is also Chililabombwe Member of Parliament said there is no way he is going to resign his positions because mine accidents are common.
He attributed the accident to failure by those that invaded the mine to follow safety procedures.
The Mines Minister was speaking on Thursday in Parliament when answering questions after he delivered a ministerial statement on the Black Mountain disaster.
“I am not resigning, if criminals or illegal people invade a mining site like they did at the Black Mountain, surely that is not a good cause for me to resign,” Mr Musukwa said.
Mr. Musukwa said he would not resign because criminals invading a mining site was not a good cause for him to resign.
He explained that those who died in the Black Mountain disaster were illegal miners who were working scavengers.
“The accident that we are considering, as you know government gave a license to seven companies. The people involved in the accident were scavengers and they entered the mine site illegally,” he said.
Mr. Musukwa said people should not blow the Black Mountain accident out of proportion because mine accidents happen all the time.
“If criminals or illegal people invade a mine site like they did at the Black mountain, surely that is not a good cause for me to resign. I’m not resigning. I’m going to ensure that this matter, the unfortunate circumstance that has happened is never repeated by ensuring that our people comply with the mines and minerals act.”
“What is unfortunate is that we have an accident that has happened and this accident is unfortunate. Mr Speaker, as you are aware government and the ministry would not allow the operation that would result in an accident. As I stand, Mr Speaker, I would like to inform you that all mining operations sit on a platform of fairly stable and safety conditions which they have put in their operations.”
However, Mr Speaker, only last week I had an accident which was recorded at Konkola Copper Mine. This is a very unfortunate circumstance that happened and that we should not use it to propel different persuasions to the subject matter,” he said.
The Mines Minister also disclosed that one of the seven companies allowed to operate the Mine, Chapamo Mining Limited has taken up the responsibility of compensating bereaved families because the accident happened within their licensed area.