Sunday, June 23, 2024

Hailstorm Leaves 27 Families Homeless in Chasefu District.

Share

Hailstorm Leaves 27 Families Homeless in Chasefu District: Urgent Relief Efforts Underway

A hailstorm that struck the Chaboli, Membe, and Kapilisanga wards of Chasefu District has left 27 families homeless and in need of emergency assistance. The disaster occurred in the early hours of Saturday and caused significant damage to homes and crops. While there were no fatalities, some victims were injured when the storm struck.

Hon. Misheck Nyambose, the Member of Parliament for Chasefu, expressed his sympathy for the affected families and assured them that President Hakainde Hichilema was aware of the situation. He also acknowledged that Chasefu District was one of many areas in the country that had been hit by hailstorms.

“The hailstorm has left a trail of destruction in our community, and we are saddened by the impact it has had on the affected families,” Hon. Nyambose said. “I want to assure them that the president is aware of the situation, and we will do everything possible to help them.”

District Commissioner Lufeyo Ngoma, who is also Disaster Management and Mitigation Unit District Chairman, led a team of government officials to the affected areas to assess the damage and pledge their support to the affected families.

“We have seen firsthand the damage that has been caused by the hailstorm, and we will work tirelessly to ensure that the affected families receive the support they need,” he said. “We will facilitate the provision of relief food and temporary shelters to help them get back on their feet.”

The hailstorm destroyed a number of structures, including Chaweya Primary School and Zion Christian Church. The disaster has left a total of 140 people homeless and hungry, and the Chasefu Town Council is working with government officials and other stakeholders to coordinate a swift and effective response to the disaster.

“The Chasefu Town Council is committed to working with other stakeholders to ensure that the affected families receive the support they need,” said Vernon Muwema, the council’s Public Relations Officer. “We call on all well-wishers and the public at large to come together and support the affected families during this difficult time.”

The council has also urged the public to take precautionary measures in the face of adverse weather conditions to prevent such disasters from occurring in the future. “We need to be prepared for adverse weather conditions and take all necessary measures to protect ourselves and our communities,” Muwema said.

As the affected families struggle to rebuild their homes and lives, the council and other stakeholders have called for solidarity and compassion in support of those who have been affected by the disaster.

“The disaster has had a profound impact on the affected families, and we must come together as a community to support them,” said Ngoma. “We urge everyone to contribute to the relief efforts so that we can help the affected families get back on their feet.”

Read more

Local News

Discover more from Lusaka Times-Zambia's Leading Online News Site - LusakaTimes.com

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading